105 Enfield Falls Rd. (Rt. 327)
Ithaca, NY 14850
In the Town of Enfield in Tompkins County, at an eleveation of about 1,100 ft./335.2 m., the Fish Kill (an anglicization of the Dutch vischers kill, or fisher's stream) falls three times behind a large, old, 2½ story, water-powered gristmill built in 1838-39 by Jared Treman. This mill is now a museum of antique milling machinery and the only reminder of the hamlet of Enfield Falls that once occupied the upper part of Treman State Park where the Fish Kill joins Enfield Creek, then called Five Mile Creek.
At one time the hamlet of Enfield Falls had, not only the mill, but a post office, a shingle factory, a tannery, a blacksmith's shop, a number of houses, and a hotel. When Robert Wickham and his wife Henrietta Cone Wickham came from Connecticut to the hamlet of Enfield Falls to visit friends in the 1830s, they were so taken by the beauty of the glen that they decided to build a hotel that was lauded for its fine hospitality and excellent meals. The Enfield Falls Hotel, as it was called, catered to locals who came to enjoy Sunday night dances in the hotel's ballroom and to tourists who were willing to pay ten cents for admission to the glen. The hotel remained in operation for more than 70 years.
As the hamlet began to decline, Robert Henry Treman, a merchant and financier from Ithaca and grandson of Jared Treman, began to buy up the land. In 1920, he and his wife Laura Treman donated 387 acres to the state with the stipulation that it be preserved as a park free to all visitors. In 1924, the state formed the Finger Lakes Parks Commission and named Robert Treman as its first commissioner. Treman died in 1938, at which time the park was renamed in his honor. The park has since grown to 1074 acres.
Between 1933 and 1941, as a result of the Great Depression, unemployed men came to the region as part of the Civilian Conservation Corp. Living in local camps, including one at upper Treman, these men completed much of the trail and beautiful rock work (walls, steps, bridges, etc.) in many of the parks throughout the region.
Robert H. Treman State Park is an area of wild beauty, with the rugged sandstone and shale Enfield Glen gorge as its scenic highlight. Winding trails follow the gorge past 12 waterfalls--including the 115-ft./35-m. Lucifer Falls--to a spot where visitors can see 1.5 mi./2.4 km. down the wooded gorge as it winds its way to the lower park. Enjoy 9 mi./14.4 km. of hiking trails, including part of the Finger Lakes Trail, or swim in a stream-fed pool beneath a waterfall. Open year round. Camping from mid-May to November 30. Pets must be leashed.
1074 acres, 72 tent/trailer sites (11 electric), 14 cabins
Key to Services
C-Boat Launch Sites
J-Empire Passport Accepted
Updated 6 January 2013