Home > History > Museums

Museums in Wayne County

Alling Coverlet Museum

122 Williams St.

Palmyra, NY 14522


The Alling Coverlet Museum has the largest collection of homespun coverlets in the nation. The coverlets date from the 1830s to the 1880s. The museum also houses numerous quilts on the second floor. The gift shop, offering a well stocked inventory of weaving items, souvenir coverlets, postcards, books, toys, and other gifts, is open during museum hours.

Heritage Square

Brick Church Corners (Jct. of Brick Church and Ontario Center Rds.)

Ontario, NY 14519


Outdoor museum with a number of historic buildings, including a log cabin, 19th century schoolhouse, Baptist meeting house, ore miner's house, lock up (jail), apple dry house, and the 1838 Warner House, formerly owned by farmer and inventor of the differential gear Alanson Warner.

Hoffman Clock Museum

Newark Public Library

High and Mason Sts.

Newark, NY 14513


Based upon the collection of Augustus L. and Jennie D. Hoffman, the museum has clocks from the United States (with emphasis on the history of New York State clockmakers), England, France, Germany, Holland, Japan, China, and Canada.

Newark-Arcadia Historical Society Museum

120 High St.

Newark, NY 124513


Historical museum featuring the Town of Arcadia along the Erie Canal.

Museum of Wayne County History

21 Butternut St.

Lyons, NY 14489


Housed in the former 1854 county jail and sheriff's residence, the museum offers tours of the jail cellblock, period rooms, including a child's bedroom and a kitchen, and a carriage house. Exhibits, programs, and events.

Palmyra Historic Museum

132 Market St.

Palmyra, NY 14622


The Palmyra Historic Museum was once a thriving hotel and tavern but is now a thriving museum, with 23 rooms loaded with period furnishings, dolls, toys, school items, military memorabilia, clothing, tools, photographs, and paintings, as well as information from and about, local inventors, politicians, and government officials. The museum also houses a fine collection of canal items and canal information.

The William Phelps General Store and Home Museum

140 Market St.

Palmyra, NY 14522


The Phelps General Store was built in 1825 and opened during the Erie Canal construction. The building was purchased by William Phelps in 1867 and run as a store by him and then by his son, Julius, until 1940. The General Store is in its original state with original posters, merchandise, boxes, hardware, storage and shipping containers, cooking oils, food colors, and furniture. It is an example of the General Store at its prime in 1890.

Sodus Point Lighthouse & Museum

7606 N. Ontario St.

Sodus Point, NY 14555


There are two lighthouses close together. The Old Sodus Light is now a museum, which introduces visitors to the maritime and geographic history of the Sodus Bay Area. The Sodus Outer Light is and operative light at the end of a pier on Wickham St. For the history of the lighthouses and photos, see www.soduspointlighthouse.org and www.rudyalicelighthouse.net/OntLts/Sodus/Sodus.htm


Updated 9 July 2016








Your ad could go here!


Your ad could go here!


Your ad could go here!